Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Tornado Warning (for Teens)


Author, Elin Stebbins Waldal is pointing a harsh and much needed spotlight on teen-dating violence and abusive relationships, using her own, very personal experience as the starting point, in Tornado Warning. I already admire her courage to survive, grow, share and advocate.


Parents and young adults need this book, and ones like it, so that they can appreciate how abusive relationships unfold, develop and change the people in them.


In Canada alone, between 16% and 35% of women surveyed say they have experienced at least one physical assault by a male dating partner. Another study found that 37% of Canadian women had experienced at least one sexual assault since the age of 16. How many countless others don't tell? How about same-sex dating violence? There are so many untold and unheard stories...


I'm going to buy this book. I'm going to read it, and I'm probably going to cry. Then I'm going to lend it out to anyone that will read it, and then I'm going to save it and make my son read it when he's old enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment