Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Ten Year Nap

I have just finished reading The Ten Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer, and I actually loved it.

It's about four New York women (think Sex in the City in 10-15 years...with chubby husbands, saggy boobs and 10 year old kids) who have all essentially given up some major part of themselves for motherhood, marriage, and suburbia. It's a slow, intimate read; frustrating at times...much like the lives of some of the women, but also comfortable and easy, as it invites us to explore the forces behind female friendship, the torment and anxiety of raising kids and both the ambivalence and motivation behind keeping careers afloat amidst the other stuff that pulls women in all directions.

If I was Oprah, this would be my pick for the summer. But I'm not, I'm just me...so if you know me and you want to borrow it, let me know. If you don't know me, and you're going on vacation, or looking for a bedtime read, you'll have to get it yourself. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment